One of the most popular cannabis edibles out there is weed brownies. This is because of the simplicity of the recipe and how quickly they can be made.
If you have ever wondered how to make pot brownies, but don’t know where to start, you’ve come to the right place. This comprehensive article is going to cover every aspect of making weed brownies.
Here’s What You’re Going to Need:
To make weed brownies you’re going to need some equipment first. You will most likely be able to find most of this stuff at home. Here is a list of what you will need.
The Main Ingredient Needed:
There is only one ingredient in this recipe that you probably won’t find in your pantry at home. That ingredient is cannabis butter. If you’re not sure how to make it or want to learn how we have a comprehensive guide to making cannabis butter here that will help you.
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowls
- Wire Rack
- 1 Cup Cannabis-Butter *Melted
- 3 Cups White Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- To make these delicious weed brownies you will only need a few things. You will need an oven, 9×13 inch baking dish, some mixing bowls, a wire rack and a toothpick.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Then lightly grease the 9×13 inch baking dish or line it with aluminum foil. This will ensure the brownies do not stick to the pan.
- Next in a large mixing bowl combine the melted cannabis-butter, sugar, and vanilla. Then beat in the 4 eggs one at a time while thoroughly mixing after each one. Ensure the mixture is well blended.
- Now using a separate mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Once it is sifted together, gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until its well blended.
- Optional* stir in the cup of chocolate chips. This step is optional depending on your preferences.
- Now once the batter has been thoroughly blended, spread it into the prepared 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven. To check when the weed brownies are done, insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean they're ready (can easily pull out), usually 35-40 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool off before dividing it up into the desired serving sizes.
Weed Brownies Potency Calculator
To find the potency of your weed brownies, you’re going to first need to know the potency of your cannabis butter. If you don’t know the potency of your cannabis butter, head over to our cannabutter guide. At the bottom of that post, there is a calculator that you can use to estimate the potency of your activated ingredient.
Another important thing to note about potency calculations:
Calculating the potency of your edibles accurately is not an easy task. There are many variables involved. Some of these include the amount of cannabis that was actually infused into the cannabis butter, what the exact percentage of THC the cannabis you used was, and even the amount of cannabinoids that are burned off when you cook the brownies. In short, there’s a lot of places that your estimate can go wrong, and if there is an error at the beginning of your calculation, that error will be carried throughout and your result will be way off. It’s important to understand that the potency calculator is just to help you estimate the potency.
Why Didn’t My Weed Brownies Work?
While looking around on the internet at some other weed brownie recipes, I noticed that a few of the top ones will not even work. Here’s how the other recipes go:
The recipe that I noticed calls for combining cannabis and butter in a pan, and then adding this combination directly to the brownie mixture.
I should probably clarify what I mean when I say they won’t work. So, if you try one of these other recipes (which I will not mention by name) the brownies will probably look and taste great! However, the problem is that these brownies will not allow you to feel the psychoactive effects of cannabis. The problem with these recipes is that they do not take into consideration the most important part of making cannabis edibles, which is activating the THC. We have a great post here that goes into detail about the importance of decarboxylation.
Important Things to Know About Making Cannabis Edibles
So if this is your first time making cannabis edibles, there are a few important things you should know:
- You cannot just add cannabis directly to recipes. Cannabis needs to be decarboxylated first. We have a post here designed specifically to explain this.
- If you’re going to add decarboxylated cannabis to a recipe, this will definitely work. But, it will taste exponentially better if you use an activated ingredient instead.
- The potency of your edibles is entirely in your control. If you would like to reduce the potency of your edibles, you can substitute a portion of regular butter in place of cannabis butter. This is the easiest way to make edibles less potent.
Although edibles can seem a little overwhelming at first, they’re much easier than you’d think. If this is your first time making edibles, make sure to comment and let us know how they went!