Learning how to use a one hitter properly really helped save me time and money! I wanted to share the tips and tricks I’ve learned when using a one hitter with everyone else. This comprehensive guide will teach you the components of a one hitter, how to use a one hitter, how to clean a one hitter, and much more useful information about this pipe.
These types of pipes are a discreet cannabis smoking method that has gained popularity in recent years. They are essentially a type of pipe that you smoke in “one hit” as the name suggests. Furthermore, these are great for people who want to have a small fast hit discreetly, who want to control the dosage and want something that’s extremely portable.
What is a One Hitter? One Hitter Components Explained
Bowl: The bowl is at the end of the one hitter. This is where the cannabis is packed into.
Chamber: The stem between the bowl and mouthpiece where the smoke travels.
Mouthpiece: A small hole at the opposite end of the bowl where you inhale from.
Dugout: A wooden box with a sliding or rotating lid that contains two chambers. One smaller chamber to store the one hitter, and the larger chamber to hold the cannabis. They help contain the odour and keep the moisture out.
How to Use a One Hitter – 4 Easy Steps
All you need is a one hitter, cannabis, lighter, grinder, and a dugout (optional). Use the dugout if you have one, but it’s not necessary. We used a grinder for this article because more people will have them available.
If you do have a dugout, we recommend using it for a few reasons. A dugout is very convenient as it stores your one hitter and cannabis. The wooden box design is very discreet and helps eliminate the odours. It also makes using your one hitter a lot easier as everything is in one place.
Step 1: Grind the Cannabis
Grind the cannabis by using a grinder, scissors, or your hands.
If you are using a grinder, break off a few small nugs of cannabis, making sure to remove any stems and seeds. Push the buds down into the teeth of the grinder. Next, spin the top piece of the grinder back and forth until all the cannabis falls into the lower compartment.
If you are using scissors or your fingers, try your best to grind the cannabis as fine as the picture below. This makes it easier to pack the cannabis into the bowl of the one hitter. It also helps the cannabis burn evenly and creates better airflow. Then place the ground cannabis into a bowl or ziplock bag so it’s secure, this will help in the next step.
If you are using a dugout, gently pack the cannabis into the larger chamber until it’s almost full. Make sure to leave space at the top so you can seal the dugout. Ensure you don’t pack the cannabis too tightly or it will be hard to remove.
Step 2: Pack the One Hitter
Stamp the end of the one hitter into the ground cannabis and twist.
Now using the end of the one hitter (the end with a bowl), slowly stamp it into the ground cannabis. Gradually press down and apply pressure while twisting the one hitter. The twisting motion helps pack the cannabis securely into the bowl. Do this until the cannabis is packed full to the edge, see the picture below.
If you are using a dugout, gradually press the one hitter down into the chamber filled with cannabis and apply pressure while twisting. Repeat this until the bowl is packed to the edge as seen in the picture above.
You can also just pack the one hitter by hand if you don’t have any of the other options available. Just ensure you pack ground up cannabis into it so it burns evenly.
Step 3: Light and Smoke the One Hitter
Place the mouthpiece in between your lips. Carefully light the end of the pipe while inhaling slowly.
Some people like to take multiple hits as its easier on the lungs. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable! If you are outside you can use your free hand to protect the flame from the wind.
Step 4: Empty the One Hitter
Once you are done smoking, remove any leftover ashes and plant material from the bowl.
If you are using a metal one hitter then you can tap the side of the pipe on a hard object a few times to remove any leftover ash. Another option is to blow air through the mouthpiece. If that still doesn’t work use a toothpick or pipe cleaner to clear the airway.
If you are using a glass one hitter carefully tap the pipe against your hand until the ash falls out. Another option is to blow air through the mouthpiece. If that still doesn’t work use a toothpick or pipe cleaner to clear the airway.
By cleaning the bowl after each use, it will help prevent clogging when using the pipe next. It is also good etiquette if you are smoking with a group of friends.
If you are using a dugout, place the one hitter mouthpiece up in the pipe chamber. Seal the lid after its placed inside. This will help reduce the odour and also keep the moisture out.
How to Use a One Hitter – 6 Tips and Tricks
- Don’t pack it too tightly: A common mistake is packing the bowl too tightly and clogging it yourself. Pack it tight enough so it doesn’t fall out, but still allows airflow.
- Make sure it’s not clogged: Before packing the bowl, ensure the one hitter isn’t clogged from the previous session. This will make sure you don’t waste any cannabis.
- Twist and apply pressure: When packing the bowl, place the end over a pile of cannabis (either in a grinder, dugout, etc), then slowly stamp it down while twisting and applying pressure. This is the best technique to ensure the bowl is packed full.
- Allow time between bowls: Beginners need to be careful when using one hitters! The effects are still very powerful depending on the potency of the cannabis you use. Allow a few minutes to pass between bowls so you can pace yourself.
- Be careful in the wind: When packing the pipe in a windy area, be careful! Sometimes a powerful gust of wind can blow the cannabis out of the dugout or grinder.
- Remove the ash: After each bowl, remove the ash. By doing this the resin won’t build up as fast and will it will help keep the pipe clean.
How to Smoke a One Hitter – 5 Tips and Tricks
- Don’t light the bowl for extended times: Some one hitters are made of metal and therefore could release potentially harmful fumes if lit for too long. The trick is to light the bowl until you taste smoke then remove the lighter. Also, the metal can heat up and potentially burn your fingers and mouth.
- Lit the bowl quickly: The bowl ignites quickly with a one hitter so only hold the lighter on it for a few seconds. This ensures you won’t burn your fingers and mouth.
- Inhale slowly: When using a one hitter, inhale slowly. It’s very easy for the ash to get into your mouth so this helps counteract that.
- Create a barrier from the wind: If you are outdoors, you will need to create a barrier from the wind. Either go behind a wall, tree or use your free hand to block the wind.
- Use glass one hitters: If it’s possible, purchase a glass one hitter over a metal one. This is because glass one hitters are usually better quality, easier to clean, smoother, and are less dangerous.
How to Use a Dugout – 5 Tips and Tricks
A dugout is a wooden box with a sliding or rotating lid that contains two chambers. One smaller chamber to store the one hitter, and the larger chamber to hold the cannabis. These help to contain the odour and keep the moisture out.
- Clean the dugout often: The dugout will get dirty and start producing an odour after a while. Clean it regularly to maintain its cleanliness.
- Don’t pack the dugout tightly: If the cannabis is packed too tightly in the chamber, it will be hard to fill the pipe as it will stick to the bottom.
- Loosen the cannabis up: Use a poking stick or a toothpick to loosen the cannabis up inside the chamber. Do this every so often so the cannabis doesn’t all stick together.
- Don’t overpack the dugout: You can’t overpack the dugout because the chamber won’t be able to properly seal. By not overpacking the chamber it will help prevent moisture from entering and also keep it sealed shut.
- Bring a poking stick: Being prepared is always a good thing. If the cannabis is packed too hard inside the chamber, having a poking stick on hand will be a lifesaver. You can use it to loosen the cannabis and also clear the ash out of the pipe after each bowl.
Here are some of the most common questions people have when it comes to using a one hitter:
How do you unclog a one hitter?Use a pipe cleaner and shove it through the mouthpiece and out the bowl. This will clear an airway so the pipe is usable.
How do you clean a one hitter?The best way to clean a one hitter is by filling a ziplock with rubbing alcohol and a tablespoon of salt, then submerging the one hitter completely. Shake the ziplock back and forth for 5-10 minutes. Then use a Q-tip to clean out the bowl.
Fill a ziplock bag with orange chronic and shake this back and forth for 5-10 minutes. Then use a Q-tip to clean out the bowl.
Are dugouts smell proof? Will my dugout smell?Dugouts are meant to be air sealed and will reduce or eliminate the smell of your cannabis and pipe. After continuous use, the seal can become broken and the odor will escape. Also if you have very potent cannabis, there will be some cannabis smell that will escape.
Are metal one hitters dangerous?Depending on the brand and type of metal one hitter you purchase, they will be made with smoke safe materials. But, when held under a flame for an extended duration there can be dangerous chemicals released. That is why we recommend a glass one hitter if possible. Another alternative is to only hold the lighter on the bowl for the minimal time needed.
Are one hitters discreet?Yes, one hitters are very discreet. The small compact size of them allows you to bring them wherever. Also, they come in the form of a “fake cigarette” which makes it looks like your just smoking a regular cigarette.